Hot Summers, Cool Savings
With the summers so difficult here in the Valley of the Sun and many of the Moon
Valley homes being older, sometimes energy costs can be extremely high.
But there are many very simple ways to cut down on those costs:
• Is the house empty while you’re working and the kids are at school? Install
a programmable thermostat to reduce energy costs.
• Keep your thermostat clear of heat. Heat can cause the thermostat to show
a higher reading than may be accurate and waste energy with excessive
• Reduce costs by air drying dishes and clothes.
• Avoid use of sleep modes and turn appliances off when not in use.
• Use power strips for electronics to make turning the appliances off more
• Enjoy the beautiful fall and spring weather Arizona offers! Open windows and
doors when temperatures allow. Make sure they are securely shut when
temperatures are less than pleasant.
• Clean your filter once a month. They are easy to find, easy to install and inexpensive.
• Use ceiling fans instead of lowering your thermostat.
• Insulate your windows and doors.
• Let the sun in during the winter! The sun’s radiant heat can reduce the
amount you have to use your heater.